We are currently busy with various projects including:
- Fish passage in the Lower Thukela. This project includes the first PIT tag study for the monitoring of a fish pass in Africa
- Invasive management in the Upper Thukela and the efficiency of artificial barrier for alien control
- E-Flows (PROBLO)studies in the Nile and Limpopo
- FISHTRAC programme including various projects dealing with real-time and remote monitoring of fish and water parameters; in the Olifants and in the uMngeni. We are also part of a BRICS collaborative programme, GLOWSENS. FISHTRAC also includes a tag retention study for yellowish.
- Ecological Risk Assessment in the Olifants
- Few projects deal the migratory ecology of charismatic and indicator species, including the African freshwaters along the Western Indian Ocean Region, a study on the migratory fish of the Shingwedzi and a project looking at the management of river connectivity in Kruger National Park.
- Mesocosm experiments are underway at UMP
- Fisheries and aquaculture research in the Lowveld
- Conservation genetics and eDNA